Plan Your Marriage Ceremony

Who Can Perform a Marriage Ceremony?

    A clergy member of your choosing who is ordained to perform marriages can marry you.​​​

    A County Deputy Marriage Commissioner can perform a civil marriage at the Clerk-Recorder’s Wedding Chapel.

    You’ll need to reserve the Wedding Chapel in person at the Clerk-Recorder’s Office. Ceremonies are scheduled Tuesday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.

    The county also offers a walk-in, express marriage ceremony. The ceremony is performed at the service window, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.​

    Any Judge, retired Judge, or designated Court official can perform a civil marriage ceremony. Check with the official for information on fees and availability.

    To schedule a ceremony with a Superior Court Judge, contact the Superior Court at (408) 882-2739.​​​​​​

    A friend or family member can perform your marriage ceremony if they are deputized. That friend or family member applies—in person at the Clerk-Recorder’s Office—to become a One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner.

    The individual needs:

    • Current government-issued identification (passport, driver’s license, permanent resident card…)
    • The names of the couple being married
    • The date and location of the wedding ceremony
    • The county where the couple plans to apply for a marriage license

    The fee for this service is $80.00, payable by cash, check, or debit/credit card ($2.50 convenience fee applies for debit and credit cards).​​​​​​​​​​​

    Civil Marriage Ceremonies at the County

    Wedding Chapel at 70 W. Hedding, San Jose, CA

    The County has everything you need for a civil marriage ceremony:

    • A wedding chapel

      You’ll need to reserve the chapel in person; ceremonies are scheduled for 10-minute blocks of time, Tuesday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 3:40 p.m. You can purchase additional ten-minute blocks for a longer ceremony.

      The chapel seats 15 people.

    • A wedding official who marries you.
    • A witness to the wedding—bring a friend or family member to witness the event or, for a fee, the county can provide a witness.
    • Wedding rings (sterling silver bands available in ring sizes of 5 to 13).

    Express Marriage Services

    An express marriage ceremony is the fastest way to get married at the County. Walk in, apply for a marriage license, and get married at the service window.

    The Clerk-Recorder's Office provides a witness to your marriage as part of this quick marriage service.

    Civil Marriage Fees

    Required Fee


    Civil Ceremony in Chapel with Commissioner




    Express Marriage Ceremony at Service Window


    Optional Fees

    Additional 10-minute block of time in Chapel


    County Witness


    Sterling Silver-Band Ring


    Chapel Rental

    Anyone can rent the Clerk-Recorder’s Wedding Chapel for a marriage, commitment ceremony, or similar ceremony. You must provide your own official and the cost for a 10-minute reservation is $40. Your reservation must be made in person and the chapel usage fee must be paid in advance. Call the Marriage Registrar for more information: 408-299-5658.

    ©2021 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.