What is a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) Statement?
The purpose of registering a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) with the County Clerk Recorder is to ensure that consumers have access to the true name and address of the owners of a business (Business and Professions Code Section § 17920).
To file, refile, or renew a Fictitious Business Name Statement, please follow these steps:
- First, research the business name to see if it is taken or look up your previous filing information. Although we do offer a search service (with fees), it is much more economical and convenient to perform the search yourself at no cost. You can do this by using our Self-Service search system.
- Applications can be downloaded from our web site and submitted to our office as follows:
- Online services are now available through our Self-Service portal.
- In-person: You can visit us in person but may experience wait times. For the most efficient and least amount of wait time, we suggest the convenience of booking an appointment to have a set time for your service.
- By-Mail / Dropbox: Submit completed application, a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office, and fees.
Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder's Office
ATTN: Business Division
110 West Tasman Drive, First Floor
San Jose, CA 95134
How long will it take? Up to 5 work days to process your application.
- Filing Fees
- Publish the statement IF required. For a list of newspapers, view for more information.
Fictitious Business Name Statement (for mail in only)
Fictitious Business Name Addendum (for mail in only)